Cleaning InfluxDB measurements with mixed Tags and Fields

While experimenting with Telegraf, SNMP and InfluxDB, I ended up filling some measurements with tags and fields that have the same name. InfluxDB works nicely with such user-case by adding numbers (in format “_###”) to those keys. But that’s a mess to deal with when using Grafana. And a mess in general.

Continue reading “Cleaning InfluxDB measurements with mixed Tags and Fields”

Store the system logs in MariaDB

I’ve used Elasticsearch on OpenBSD to store my system logs for quite long now. And if it does the job, there are a few things I don’t like so much with it.

I only used a single instance so I was warned about availability. But a sudden power outage had severe impact on my daily data. Way much more than what I expected from a Production-ready software. Rebuilding and re-indexing the data was a real pain in the ass. From time to time, I also get errors about indexing that seem to go away without doing nothing.

The latter is probably due to my low memory server. But I want to store logs for only a couple of boxes. And I don’t want to reserve 4GB of RAM just for this. This “gimme more RAM” manner really annoys me. And as I also need RAM for Logstash (to parse the data and send them to Elasticsearch), this leads to way too much resources consumption.

That said, I decided to test another way for storing the logs : using a RDBMS, namely MariaDB. I already have one running smooth. And I read Grafana was able to read data from it using SQL commands.

Continue reading “Store the system logs in MariaDB”