Another OpenBSD release, another upgrade on the Vultr hosting system. The whole process went smooth from OpenBSD 6.3 to 6.4 with encrypted root.
While experimenting with Telegraf, SNMP and InfluxDB, I ended up filling some measurements with tags and fields that have the same name. InfluxDB works nicely with such user-case by adding numbers (in format “_###”) to those keys. But that’s a mess to deal with when using Grafana. And a mess in general.
I tried to run InfluxData Telegraf on OpenBSD 6.2 but it wasn’t available in the Ports nor was I able to compile a binary from sources. But the latter has changed since I have an OpenBSD 6.3 instance running. Here’s how to compile and run Telegraf on OpenBSD.
Synology DSM can be configured to send notifications on various events. It can use Email, SMS and Push Service. I usually use email notifications to check for status. But here’s how I configured SMS notification for critical events using the French mobile operator “Free Mobile”.
I’ve used Elasticsearch on OpenBSD to store my system logs for quite long now. And if it does the job, there are a few things I don’t like so much with it.
I only used a single instance so I was warned about availability. But a sudden power outage had severe impact on my daily data. Way much more than what I expected from a Production-ready software. Rebuilding and re-indexing the data was a real pain in the ass. From time to time, I also get errors about indexing that seem to go away without doing nothing.
The latter is probably due to my low memory server. But I want to store logs for only a couple of boxes. And I don’t want to reserve 4GB of RAM just for this. This “gimme more RAM” manner really annoys me. And as I also need RAM for Logstash (to parse the data and send them to Elasticsearch), this leads to way too much resources consumption.
That said, I decided to test another way for storing the logs : using a RDBMS, namely MariaDB. I already have one running smooth. And I read Grafana was able to read data from it using SQL commands.